Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Friday 16 March 2018

345- (C)ptsd & adaptive coping


I discuss my traumas in dozens of entries, and yet, haven't really talked about coping outside of my exposure therapy for social phobia

In my previous entry, I talked about trauma and maladaptive coping, leaving adaptive coping tools to this present one.


In the same wiki article which I linked in that previous blog, adaptive or positive coping tools are discussed, such as adequate nutrition, exercise, physical fitness, relaxation and sleep, which can help and contribute in stress management.  

For me, adequate nutrition has been in leading a vegan lifestyle - beyond a diet, as a philosophy of compassion and kindness. I may eat some junk foods such as chips, but this isn't a regular thing. I eat veggies and dried goods such as lentils, rice and noodles, more than the average. What I lack are fruits, which I don't eat enough variety nor often enough to be fully adequate - but I'd like to improve this aspect, and it shouldn't be too tough, as I love most fruits.

Excise and physical fitness have both been issues and rare occurrences in the past few years. My overall stamina and fitness both reduced, especially since I finished my last job, and it has been a struggle to keep regular exercises and now in middle-age, I find it tougher. 

Compounded with worsened mental health, sedimentary lifestyle and my current post-op recovery preventing me from physical exercise, everything is an effort. More on that in relevant entries. Once my recovery is done, though, i hope to resume fitness. 
My most liked form of physical activity is that of hiking in nature, coupled with the artistic outlet that is digital photography ; surrounded by nature, breathing fresh air, replenishing myself, away from civilization and people, though I never go all that far, distance-wise. 
I haven't been able to do it the past two summers, so I hope that after my current post-op, I can go back to the woods, up on the mountain. 

I used to do relaxation and meditation, and hope to also resume. It helped with my anxiety (GAD) and also my fitness, as well as one area of huge struggles : sleep (entry to come).

Humour is said to be a positive tool ; here, I nuance with the fact that I like laughing or to be made to laugh, with positive jokes or images (such as cute funny animals or expressions), and also to laugh with friends, in respectful ways. Comedies and humour are often too abrasive and at people's expense instead of with them, so I find most sitcoms & comic movies to be unpleasant watch. 
That being said, positive humour is alright for me, and you can find on any search engine the positive effects with scientific proof of it. 

Wiki's article further discusses positive strategy in anticipating a problem is a form known as proactive coping, which I'd like to distinguish from the negative aspect experienced in GAD, where anticipation is only for worst case scenario and anticipation of anxiety and negative outcomes, causing pre-emptive anxiety and even panic attack at prospect of difficulties.
Thus, in positive aspect, anticipation should be a tool in order to be more realistic and understand how to reduce stress in situations based on possibilities, without exaggeration of negative, anxious-ridden situations, but to learn beforehand that though some difficulties can arise, to also learn to better cope with these prospects and not blow them out of proportions. This would be more ideal, and represents a goal for me. 

Social coping is something that I used to have a LOT of difficulties with, and to this day is a work-in-progress : I learned to accept that I'm worthy of asking and getting social support from friends - especially since I found a whole mental health community over twitter, where I participate in chats and started bonding and making new friendships in the past couple of years. In doing so, I get support, especially from people who understand what it is to struggle, people who are generous, empathetic and compassionate, and in offering mutual support, have grown friendships. 

Some of them have also expanded beyond and outside MH topics, which is great, and I composed another blog entry about this very topic - in view of hosting and discussing it in a #talkmh some time in April, normally. 

Meaning-focused coping is where I, or you my reader, can give a meaning to an experience, understanding how particular situation/s affected you thus far, and understanding the difference between cause and effect. Indeed, one cause doesn't always mean that you'll have the same effect (in situations that aren't about laws of physics, biology or chemistry, let us say), as you can learn from the past and build the future, based on your present. So, this goes with that ptsd therapy book that I detailed in previous entries (the one edited by Ochberg), where one of the goals of a therapist is to help a patient/client to understand the process of healing - its main stages being those from trauma, its assessment, recapitulation, neutralization and finally, resolution. These are detailed in the aforementioned book, p. 260-261, and which I'll blog about separately. 

As detailed here and in the links, we can see various ways of positively dealing with stress, to improve mental and physical health, and in the same process, helping our social well being through interaction, giving and receiving support. 
R&R, as in military jargon, Rest and Recuperation, can be given to anyone. We can maintain better health ; learn to withstand with stress, and better cope with those parts which we couldn't avert from happening. All this helps us preventing burning-out (albeit a term initially reserved to the work-environment), and we can manage our time, adding realistic positive thoughts - which is my version of just basic, mindless positivism which doesn't take into account reality. 

I also find that asking for support, realizing that I am worthy of it and the help that i get are important and integral part of my healing process and recovery from my particular kinds of trauma, as a religious cult survivor. 

Expressing emotions and thoughts, after learning to discern them if necessary, can be also very positive and adaptive coping tools. 

In general, it's also good to juggle the brain with novelty, though this is an aspect that is tough for my GAD. 

So, what are your adaptive coping tools ? Share your opinions and insights in comments, if you wish. Thank you for having read me thus far! 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your kind and insightful comment. I agree, these are quite useful ways and glad that you found your own versions for them

    ReplyDelete

Recent comments