Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Thursday 5 October 2017

274- (sorta) Brave at the doc


This morning, I was quite brave, but not fully. 

Indeed, I had an appointment with the dermatologist, to check a mole which had turned color and grown 2 points which worried me a bit. I had seen the GP almost 2 weeks ago, who looked at it and was also concerned at the rapid changes I described, so he wrote a referral letter for my dermatologist and said to make a faster appointment than one initially set for November 23. 


Last night, I was so anxious about it, that I woke up 4 times, falling back asleep shortly after that, luckily, and started waking up shortly before the alarm, set for 6:40.

After a quick coffee, and getting dressed, my wife and I left home at 7:30 as my appointment was the first in the day - 8AM!  


As soon as we got out, I became nauseous due to my anxiety and stress, and after a minute's breathing, continued and arrived to the office precisely on time. 

Upon inspection, the dermatologist didn't think it was anything bad, it hadn't grown since my last checkup and said the 2 points on it were scabs, and that I'd probably scratched or rubbed at it, and that it wasn't worrisome at all. 

However, to be totally sure of it, he made a biopsy, and this is where my wife's presence was helpful as I could look at her and avoid accidentally seing the process. I felt the sting of the local anaesthesia, but it was like a strong bee sting, lasting only a minute and then I was okay. 

It was a mix of my wife's presence and some personal bravery to go and accept the biopsy. 

Prognosis : he said it wasn't a "mole" (real word: nevus) but a dermatofibroma, and probably nothing serious. He said the lab results should confirm before I even have to get the stitches taken off (in 2-3 weeks), which I'll do with a local nurse because he and his medical partner won't be there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments