Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Saturday 17 June 2017

251- Nonbinary hair

Several events delayed 2 posts in 52weekgratitude challenge, and since their topics are very different, I'll split them accordingly. However, I won't backdate them, because that'd change all my ordered numbering.

Here goes week 23, which was supposed to be posted during the week of June 4-10 : my favorite physical trait is currently my hair. With the exception of rare trimming, I haven't had it cut for about 3 years, as I wanted to try once more to let it grow long. 



In the past, I had tried several times, but was impatient with my growth that had started on very weird, uneven speeds - one side growing much faster than the other. I had just given up on this project, but about 3 years ago, I decided to try again, because I was finally learning to embrace my non-binary nature and to let go (somewhat) of fears of being seen and ridiculed. 

Not that long hair is only feminine - we know that from many mythological stories that are part of our culture. But, in our modern days, if you are a man and let your hair grow, but you're not an actor, musician or in a more diversely multicultural environnement,  you are tend to be seen as a weirdo and can be treated all kinds of names that show our society is still struggling with its gender stereotypes.

This is the case in my french city, where diversity didn't make it totally normal for men to wear long hair, and even less so for those of us who dare to have it dyed in so-called feminine colors.
Indeed, I tend to walk with pinks or purples - sometimes both - and those aren't seen as masculine. 

Colors have no gender. Long hair or short hair aren't the sole associations we can make with cisgender women and men. Women, men, transgerder, gender-fluid, non-binary people can all have any length and color of hair that we chose for our own preferences (if we don't decide to go bold). This will help to break down stigma and stereotypes  - the more of us dare, the fewer will find it odd.

I noticed many eyes set upon me in the past 2 years - ever since the length and dyes have been more visible. Most stare perplexed and then move on. 
Some have complimented my hair - mostly women, but surprisingly, even men. 
Most of the compliments came from my friends, but again, I was agreeably surprised that strangers also dared to tell me. 

However, the majority of remarks have been done between people, behind my back, not daring to address me, I guess. Generally, women telling their daughters or girls telling their mothers they thought it was cute, or surprised to see this. 

Despite fears of being physically assaulted for my difference, I have bravely walked with my long, pink and/or purple dyed hair all around town. Thus far, I can count only 3 occasions where men stared and laughed at me from their cars, but luckily never came out of it to attack me. 

My long, dyed hair marks a bolder approach in life, daring to defy gender stereotypes and to display my own tastes and sense of my own beauty. 

It also marks going through a project and seing it further than ever before, as I haven't given up on it in all these 3 years - though I had a few times almost asked for a cut to go back to my shorter self, out of lack of patience to see it long enough for my taste. 

Lately, it has also been a nice way to cover my neck and avoid sunburns when I cannot or will not wear my bigger hat. 

I love this hair, I'm thankful that the proteins I eat (all vegan, btw), convert as they die, into this hair. 

What is your favorite physical trait ? 


For week 24, I shall discuss a book that taught me something...







No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments