Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Friday 12 August 2016

122- CBT 2016-6

In post 118 I detailed the trip to Paris, and my CBT assignments. I'll let you read than entry, and come back here for the second part of that. 

I had to reschedule this  sixth session with my therapist, because I couldn't talk while being sick. 

I finally went in today and had a positive return from my therapist after I showed her my notes and progress in most of my exposure tasks. 

I mentioned how I managed throughout this trip to tap into higher sources of anxiety than my initial tasks, which were up to level 40/100. 




For instance, we went to the restaurant, and visited with the family a few crowded places, and also slept elsewhere than my own apartment which has difficult on the few rare occasions. These are around 80-90/100 anxiety levels for me, and I managed my stress rather well - not perfectly, but well enough to function.

Now, I have to continue working on previous tasks until I master them enough, and which were, from sessions 5 and prior : 

  • Sending official emails, and making official phone calls> I didn't make enough of those.
  • Asking for directions as I was quite hesitant a few times in Paris.
  • Once we are healed here, invite friends I know less, to our apartment or to share time somewhere
  • Stay a bit longer in supermarkets
Once I master, she suggested that I keep making the efforts once every other week,  so I don't lose my newfound habits and ease. 

We are now up to the 50/100 stress level in my relative anxiety scale for social situations. Things are a bit tougher, and my current tasks are to go to public parcs, cafés/bars, and shopping malls.

I realized on my way back from the session that I'd forgotten to discuss all my personal victories these past 2 weeks, especially in Paris. I need to work on that, because I don't always talk about my successes, not enough - as my self-esteem issues cause me to diminish my own achievements, and I focus too much on failures and difficulties. 

Next session, 7th, is set for 2 September, after my therapist's vacation. 
I really like the progress I've made with her thus far, and this pace of 2-3 week gaps, giving me time to work my exposures. 

To be continued 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments