Black Lives Matter, let's unite and speak up to correct injustices, to fight for equality and bury racism

Friday 6 May 2016

58- Special edition 2 : Mental health awareness month (6) - Recovery



Day 6 of Mental Health week (and awareness month), I now want to discuss what I think would be recovery in my own case.

First, on the level of social phobia : this recovery would mean that I can finally attend social events without having any panic attack, and I'd consider that I made enough progress even if I experience a little anxiety. 
I never could, for instance, go to a concert even though I love music and that it helps me control part of my cyclothymia. Being cured would mean that I can at least go enjoy a concert, alone or with someone that also loves the artist I chose.

Recovering from social phobia would also mean that i'd accept many invitations from friends to go to their birthday parties where people I don't know would also be and that I wouldn't freak out to the mere idea of this party...






Recovery would also mean any other kind of social situation that has always been a cause for tremendous stress : finding a job (it's been some time), going to the movies and not have to wait until the lights are off to stop feeling anxious, or talking and eating in front of people that aren't necessarily family and friends.

Recovery would therefore represent a huge shift in my automatic thoughts and over the top emotional reactions, and the ability to cope with social situations with much less anxiety.

Second, on level of PTSD :  here, issues around traumas I experienced have resulted in many inhibitions, flash backs at really bad moments (such as crossing the street), or having nightmares (they are less prevalent than a few years ago). Recovery would mean that I'm able to pass my day without any flashback, or inhibitions. However, I believe this will probably take a lifetime to surpass, as my trauma lasted over a decade and its consequences have never left me in twice as long as my initial traumatic life experiences.

Third, on the levels of many other phobias that I suffer from,  especially some that cause me a great deal of daily pain, nausea and the like : recovery here would mean the disappearance, pure and simple, of the most annoying phobias I can think off : coprophobia, hemophobia, or the one that gives me nausea when I wash dishes or sort laundry, or see someone spitting (and for which I couldn't find a name).

Fourth, depression recovery would mean that I no longer get as many and often depressive episodes for various causes, and not have to deal with so much low as I do.

Five, closely related, recovering from my cyclothymia wouldn't mean that I don't have it anymore, necessarily, as I've grown accustomed to it but not have its lowest moments as those can be quite difficult...

In short, recovery in most of my mental illnesses would represent a huge improvement in my life conditions, my access to social events and improved capacities.

For more about my phobias 

To be continued in day 7!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Recent comments